The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. We support programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UNHABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing Administrative, conference, Security and information services (www.unon.org).
The UNON Joint Medical Service internship is for 5 to 6 months max.
In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, applicants may be requested to undertake the internship remotely in view of constraints regarding visa issuance, international travel and access to UN premises. Applicants must be willing and prepared to undertake the internship remotely for a part or the entirety of the internship. The work hours during the internship shall be determined based on individual discussion between the intern and the supervisor(s) taking into consideration the minimum requirements of the Organization and the time difference between the hosting office and the location of the intern
The Internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Interns work five days per week under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background; the intern’s assigned office as well as the internship period.
Under the Supervision of the JMS Medical Officer the intern will:
– Assist in the preparation of health and wellness communication tools.
– Assist in health promotion and outreach activities including preparations and logistics for delivery of health talks, participation in healthy U campaigns, support for wellness group challenge activities, outreach activities focused on health, nutrition and fitness. These activities will be conducted on online and in-person basis. In-Person wellness activities will only be conducted subject to approval by the Chief Medical Officer and will be subject to application of COVID-19 precautions.
– Assist in generating health awareness content and disseminating the same through Innovative application of information technology tools such as the JMS website, newsletter articles and social media platforms; Utilizing mobile based applications to support activities such as fitness tracking for wellness group challenge activities.
– Assist in research activities including monitoring and evaluation of the wellness programme through surveys and interviews, data collection & analysis, report writing, and presentation of recommendations.
– Assist the UN CARES programme with administrative support for major events such as the annual UN Run and Children’s HIV training.
– Utilization of the activities and experiences contemplated in this role to learn, to be engaged and to gain the core skills as per the learning objectives of the sponsoring college / institution.
– Assist in documentation and data analytics relating to the UNON JMS covid-19 vaccination drive
– Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
a. Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
b. Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
c. Have graduated with Bachelor’s degree, Masters, PhD or equivalent
Be computer literate in standard software applications.
Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Preferred area of Studies:
Nutrition, Public health, Health education, health science or closely related field.
No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this internship position, fluency in English is required.
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.
“In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, applicants may be requested to undertake the internship remotely in view of constraints regarding visa issuance, international travel and access to UN premises. Applicants must be willing and prepared to undertake the internship remotely for a part or the entirety of the internship.”
Your application for this internship must include:
1. A Completed application (Personal History Profile) and Cover Note, through the UN careers Portal. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
– Title of the degree you are currently pursuing
– Graduation Date
– IT skills and programmes you are proficient in
– Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship
Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme, ensure to include all past work experience (if any).
2. Proof of enrollment from current University (if not graduated).
3. A copy of degree certificate (if you have already graduated).
Due to a high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
Click on “Apply for job” button below. For Premium Members and for premium Membership (OPTIONAL) CLICK HERE.
For inquiries click on the WhatsApp button below